Butternut Squash Gratin
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 apple, thinly sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheese (we used Monterrey Jack, use any cheese you like)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp Wedderspoon Manuka Honey
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Cut your squash into slices about half inch thick.
- In a large bowl, toss your squash with the cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- In a greased baking dish, spread out your squash mixture, sprinkle with the cup of grated cheese and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with 2 tbsp butter, add crushed garlic, onions and salt and pepper.
- Once onions start to caramelize, add the apples, honey and rosemary. Cook until softened.
- Chop the remaining 2 tbsp of butter into pieces and mix in with the breadcrumbs. Add a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Take the squash out of the oven and evenly spread the onion and apple mixture on top.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and broil for 5 minutes or until the top starts to brown. Serve immediately.
You can skip the last step, for now, if you are making the dish ahead of time!